I made a custom board using the SAMD21G18A that uses the Arduino M0+ firmware from Arduino SRL. I have been using Atmel Studio with the Arduino plugin and programming through SWD using my Atmel ICE.
I was able to upload the bootloader with no errors. I wrote a simple serial echo program to see if everything was working, uploaded it, and it didn't respond in the terminal. I tried uploading again with a small change, it erased, programmed, and then threw a verify error.
I tried uploading the bootloader to my actual Arduino Zero and it did the exact same thing. What worries me is I was able to upload the bootloader to the Zero a few weeks ago and everything worked great...
To break it down...
- I can read fuses, but can't set fuses (verification error)
- I can't upload any bootloader
- I have uninstalled atmel studio, rolled-back ICE firmware and re-updated it, restarted my computer, etc.
- I have been programming all sorts of AVRs with my ICE for a few weeks with no problems
- I was able to program my off-the-shelf Zero before with the same ICE
- I have tried different versions of the Zero firmware from both Arduino SRL and CC.
Have I melted my ICE? :(