update firmware error for ATmega256RFR2 xplained pro kit

Go To Last Post
13 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi,

Recently I have installed AVR Studio 6.2 instead AVR Studio 6.1. And my two ATmega256RFR2 xplained pro kits demanded updates. First of them has updated without any problem. But with second kit is big problem: during update it asked reset it and after that it is no longer updated. Now AVR Studio is not see this kit. Moreover, Windows sees it only as hid device.

AT32UC3A4256J-C1UR is used as programmer in this board. But my attempts to find the original hex-file failed. Of course this kit can be used with an external programmer. But is there a way to restore the debugger on the board?

I would appreciate any help.

Regards

Last Edited: Fri. Oct 16, 2015 - 12:28 AM

http://www.atmel.com/webdoc/atmelstudio/atmelstudio.AvrStudioUserGuide.F...

The firmware for the edbg is located in <installdir>\tools\edbg\edbg_fw.zip, so full command should be 'atfw -t edbg -a <installdir>\tools\EDBG\edbg_fw.zip' if the debugger has been stuck in update mode. atfw -l should also list it, even if it is stuck in update mode.

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Atmel, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

Hi meolsen,

Thank you for reply. I did as you recommended but I see message "The specified file does not exist". I checked out, edbg_fw.zip is really in folder with this path. What is wrong?

Attachment(s): 

Wow, it is working.

I copied folder with zip-file in the root of drive C. And after that, update has been done. Or too long path, or my mistake when I typed path... Although I was checking.

Any way, thank you meolsen

tool->tools in your command...

Glad to hear this it is alive again :) It seems to falled into bootmode, which usually means that the firmware upgrade failed and it was not able to recover. The command line instance of the firmware system is able to talk to it, but it is not a 'debug/program tool' so it is not visible inside Atmel Studio in this state.

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Atmel, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

Hi

today I tried to upgrade my atmega256rfr2 but when i started de upgrade i obtain a message like upgrade failed toogled the power botton and try the upgrade again. i don't have any idea to resolve this problem. maybe i need a tutorial step by step because is the first time i work whit kind of products and thecnology.

i need your help because i need the atmega for my final project job.

Thank you very much i hope your answer.

Total votes: 1

[moderator]First of all, use capitalization. English might not be your first language, but there are some things that are universal for all languages.[/moderator]

It would be helpful to see the actual error message, don't you think? And what tools do you use?

NOTE: I no longer actively read this forum. Please ask your question on www.eevblog.com/forum if you want my answer.

Sorry 're right . Attached a photograph of error obtained this morning , although the picture is not of very good quality. I am using Atmel Studio 6.2 . I used the cmd windows to try to fix it as explained in the above comments but I have not gotten the firmware upgrade or leave the bootloader mode. Thank you for you answer.

Attachment(s): 

Last Edited: Mon. Apr 13, 2015 - 05:13 PM

This is unusual.

Try this "manual" method - http://atmel.force.com/support/a... . Even if it will fail, it will probably give more information.

NOTE: I no longer actively read this forum. Please ask your question on www.eevblog.com/forum if you want my answer.

I tried this this morning, with the cmd in windows 7 and I don't obtain the firmware upgrade. However I will tried again this night. 

One question more, Are necessary that the atmega256rfr2 are conected during the manual upgrade?.

Thank you so much for your attention.

Last Edited: Mon. Apr 13, 2015 - 05:50 PM

Well, you are updating the firmware on the board. Of course it is necessary to have this board connected.

When you say that things don't work, attach logs. Those tools produce all sorts of useful messages.

Ok. I tried the manual upgrade and I recived this error. ( atthacment in the photo).

Attachment(s): 

Last Edited: Mon. Apr 13, 2015 - 06:28 PM

I think there is something wrong with your Atmel Studio installation. I've never seen this error before.