Split from: Atsha204a

Go To Last Post
9 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hello Friends

Hi have bought one AT88CK590 Evaluation Kit for working. Can I unlock the device after locking it configuration as well as data zone ?

Regards

Harish

Harish

Last Edited: Mon. Mar 12, 2018 - 04:04 PM

No. Once it's locked you can't unlock it.

It wouldn't be a very good security device if you could!

Thanks for the reply, But it is an evaluation kit. Still I cant unlock it if I want to do change something ???

Regards

Harish

Harish

It makes no difference that it's an evaluation kit.

Once you lock a zone in the chip it can never be unlocked.

This is true for all the chips on the dongle: ATAES132A, ATSHA204A and ATECC508A.

I have a AT88CK590 USB dongle and also a CryptoAuth Xplained Pro board. I was very careful not to run the Lock command while developing my software.

Regards,

Tony.

Hi Tony

Then how can I evaluate different configurations??

I am new to this board.

Regards

Harish

Harish

anha6317 wrote:
It makes no difference that it's an evaluation kit.

Once you lock a zone in the chip it can never be unlocked.

Tony, are you sure that a full erase of the chip and then a firmware upgrade won't unlock it?  Usually after an erase there is nothing left to hide.

Harish, take a look at this series and give it a try.  Flashing the USB Dongle's Firmware  No guarantees.  Good luck.

"I may make you feel but I can't make you think" - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

"void transmigratus(void) {transmigratus();} // recursio infinitus" - larryvc

"It's much more practical to rely on the processing powers of the real debugger, i.e. the one between the keyboard and chair." - JW wek3

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -  Marcus Aurelius

Last Edited: Tue. Mar 13, 2018 - 06:07 AM

The firmware in the USB dongle runs on a microcontroller. However, the Lock register is not in the microcontroller but is in the ATSHA204. There is no firmware in the ATSHA204 itself.

The "full erase" you refer to wipes the on-chip flash in the microcontroller prior to programming new firmware.

The microcontroller is a AT90USB1287, an 8 bit AVR cpu with various peripherals such as a serial port, GPIO lines, I2C controller etc. and 128 Kb of internal flash and some RAM.

The microcontroller interprets commands/data received via the USB, and then manages the resulting I2C serial communication with the ATSHA204 to execute the command. It also controls the status LEDs.

As the datasheet clearly states, locking cannot be reversed, which is also the case in the other chips in the dongle.

The consequences of allowing a chip to be unlocked would circumvent the security of any product protected by any of these chips.

Thanks for the explanation Tony.  It seems Harish has asked this question before.  https://community.atmel.com/forum/atsha204a  Another bout of going in circles because of split threads!

"I may make you feel but I can't make you think" - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

"void transmigratus(void) {transmigratus();} // recursio infinitus" - larryvc

"It's much more practical to rely on the processing powers of the real debugger, i.e. the one between the keyboard and chair." - JW wek3

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -  Marcus Aurelius

Last Edited: Tue. Mar 13, 2018 - 06:55 AM

Well I thought their will different work around using evaluation board. 

Thank you for your suggestions

Regards

Harish

Harish