Microchip Studio 7.0.2542 crashes at start, yet again

Go To Last Post
4 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Back to the same problem as quoted below!

I see the problem again, but only when I'm not the user Administrator, so it looks like an access denied error

The logfile is attached

I tried de-installing Microchip Studio and the Microsoft Visual Studio Shell (isolated), then re-installed the Microchip Studio 7.0.2542 followed by the Shell, rev 14.0.23107.10. with the same failure.

Sysinternals Process Monitor showed a few system call failures, but I couldn't identify anything significant

The fixes described in earlier reports of the failure didn't work. Windows is the latest version

Any good suggestions?

Thanks for help, best wishes from

Jerry

jerryr wrote:

After starting the program it displays the usual initial screen but displays the error message:

An exception was encountered while constructing the content of this frame.  This information is also logged in "C:\Users\Jerry\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\AppEnv\14.0\ActivityLog.xml".

Exception details:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsShell5.LoadPackageWithContext(Guid& packageGuid, Int32 reason, Guid& context)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.GetPackage()
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.ConstructContent()

Deinstalling Studio and reinstalling it didn't change the behavior

An installation on another system and on another disk of the same system worked without error

The latest Windows 10 is installed on all systems

I didn't find access violations after starting the program as an unprivileged user

The activity log is attached as a .zip file

Thanks for any help, Jerry

Attachment(s): 

Package icon ActivityLog.zip

This topic has a solution.
Last Edited: Wed. Nov 17, 2021 - 07:18 PM
This reply has been marked as the solution. 

Try post #14 in https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/...

May be a long shot, but certainly worked for me after I couldn't run Studio after an update.

Total votes: 1

A thousand thanks! It worked!

Don't know how  many hours I messed about trying to fix this - uninstalling and installing Visual Studio+ shell

Best wishes, Jerry

No problem. I feel your pain, I did exactly the same thing as you. Unfortunately it seems very common; I reported it a few months back to Microchip but apparently it's out of their direct control with Studio.

Anyway, please mark a solution in this thread for the next poor person that has the same thing!

All the best