Microchip Studio 7.0.2542 crashes at start

Go To Last Post
9 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

After updating to the above rev. the program crashed at start. Error message "An exception has been encountered. This may be caused by an extension"

The message box showed that one should look at the file C:\Users\Jerry\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\AppEnv\14.0\ActivityLog.xml (attached as zip file)

Ran repair installation, same error

De-installed program and re-installed. Same error

The program shows the list of previous projects. After clicking one of them the tabs are empty

System is notebook with Win 10 Pro rev. 10.0.18363

Please fix! I want to continue work on a program

Best wishes, Jerry

Attachment(s): 

Do you have VaMef.dll in C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Extensions\WholeTomato\VA_Atmel\10.9.2332.3 ? (or wherever you installed Studio?)

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Microchip, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Microchip’s positions, strategies, or opinions.

Thanks for the quick reply. The file VaMef.dll is in the named directory

Jerry

Alright, then open a admin command prompt, and run the StudioInstallAgent.exe /uninstall, then StudioInstallAgent.exe /install (this is from the Studio install directory)

This should recreate the caches that seems to be failing...

(yes, I work for Microchip, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Microchip’s positions, strategies, or opinions.

meolsen wrote:

Alright, then open a admin command prompt, and run the StudioInstallAgent.exe /uninstall, then StudioInstallAgent.exe /install (this is from the Studio install directory)

This should recreate the caches that seems to be failing...

Thanks for the reply. I ran the suggested commands as admin with Powershell, but the fault reappeared. The ActivityLog files are attached

Now to bed, it's 2300 here in Germany

Attachment(s): 

Try to delete the folder %localappdata%\Atmel\AtmelStudio\7.0\ComponentModelCache

meolsen wrote:

Try to delete the folder %localappdata%\Atmel\AtmelStudio\7.0\ComponentModelCache

Thanks for the reply Morten.

I did this, Studio starts and doesn't crash. If I select a recent ARM or AVR8 project the error message appears:

"C:\Users\Jerry\Dropbox\SAMD21VTI\Program\SAMD21VTI.cproj : error  : Required toolchain is missing or corrupt. Please repair Microchip Studio installation from 'Add or Remove programs'"

As suggested in https://community.atmel.com/foru... I ran a repair on Microchip Studio and rebooted. Both SAM and AVR were ticked

Still the same error ...

Jerry

Total votes: 1

Then try to uninstall first, and uninstall Visual Studio 2015 Shell (Isolated), then install again (no repair)

Total votes: 1

meolsen wrote:

Then try to uninstall first, and uninstall Visual Studio 2015 Shell (Isolated), then install again (no repair)

Thanks again, that did the trick! Can now build the project. Must set up Git now.

Now I'm happy again!

Jerry