Is Atmel ICE firmware V1.29 still not working with SAMD21 on recent AS7 or MS7 versions??

Go To Last Post
4 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I got a new PC and blithely installed the latest version of Microchip Studio. The first time I plugged in the Atmel ICE windows set it up and I could select it from the Device Programming menu. When I selected SAMD21G18A as the target, it prompted me to upgrade the ICE firmware from V1.27 to V1.29. I Googled and found https://community.atmel.com/forum/firmware-update-broke-my-atmel-ice and held off. I have uninstalled Microchip Studio and have now installed Atmel Studio 7.0.1931, which has worked well on my other two Win10 PCs. The ICE works fine and is allowed to talk to the SAMD21G18A custom board I have.

Please could someone running Microchip Studio with Atmel ICE firmware V1.29 let me know if you have any issues targeting a SAMD21 using the ICE? It seems slightly strange that no-one else has reported this issue other than Seon, although if we are all happy with the version of AS7.0.XXX we are on, I can understand why perhaps few have has this issue.

Thanks

EDIT: I previously wrote V1.77 and V1.79 - I meant V1.27 and V1.29, which I have amended above.

Last Edited: Wed. Aug 18, 2021 - 11:05 PM

With my Atmel ICE the target voltage is not read correctly (2.1V read while it is 3.3V). That is the only problem I have noticed (and I don't know when that started). This is with v1.29 and latest Microchip Studio. I tested boards with SAMD21G18A and SAML21J18B.

/Lars

Thanks Lars, that still sounds quite annoying, if not as incapacitating as Seon's experience. I'm not asking you to test this but I wonder if you were to power it from 1.8V whether it would report the voltage too low to let you try programming.

I think I will hold off for now on AS/MS or ICE updates. If anyone else could add to our sample size of Lars and Seon, that would be great - thanks.

Simon

Tried 1.8V, it is reported too low (1.0V) but "Device Programming" allows me to try anyway, it does not work, can't even read the device signature.

/Lars