Hardware for Lightweight Mesh Network

Go To Last Post
9 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I'm deciding to go with lightweight mesh network. Now I have an STK-600 so I'm planning to get an ATmega128RFA1-EK1. Then connect ATmega128RFA1-EK1 on my STK.

My question is, is there any other device/hardward/wire other than ATmega128RFA1-EK1 I need to purchase in order to get lightweigh mesh worked?

Thank you.

Last Edited: Fri. Oct 16, 2015 - 02:11 PM

No, you don't need anything else. But it will be much more cost effective to buy ATmega256RFR2 Xplained Pro (http://store.atmel.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10500338). Especially for wireless, where you need to have at least to devices.

NOTE: I no longer actively read this forum. Please ask your question on www.eevblog.com/forum if you want my answer.

alexru wrote:
No, you don't need anything else. But it will be much more cost effective to buy ATmega256RFR2 Xplained Pro (http://store.atmel.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10500338). Especially for wireless, where you need to have at least to devices.

Hi alexru, I have another question. For the ATmega128RFA1 Evaluation Kit, does it embedded with a ATmega128RFA1 MCU or it has a socket for ATmega128RFA1 ?

Thank you very much

It has ATmega128RFA1 soldered on the board. This is the only way to make RF work. But there is no JTAG connector on the board, so the only easy way to program it is by putting it on the STK600, which can be hard, given that you need at least two boards to do wireless. This is why I'm recommending that Xplained kit.

NOTE: I no longer actively read this forum. Please ask your question on www.eevblog.com/forum if you want my answer.

alexru wrote:

Hi alexru, I check the specification for Lightweight mesh, it says I need a AVR JTAGIC mkll or Atmel JTAGICE3 in order to download my program into Atmega128RFA1 through Atmel studio6. Does it mean I need to purchase a debugger in order to get my device work?

With ATmega256RFR2 Xplained Pro, no, you don't.

With other boards that don't have a programmer on-board, yes, you need an external programmer.

alexru wrote:
With ATmega256RFR2 Xplained Pro, no, you don't.

With other boards that don't have a programmer on-board, yes, you need an external programmer.

I think it's still cost effictive for me to use Atmega128RFA1-EK, because I don't have to purchase STK-600. For Xplained, I think I need to purchase at least two of it in order to demonstrate the network feature.

The network specification says I need an AVR JTAGICE mkII or Atmel JTAGICE 3 debugger. However I don't have these two types of debugger. What I have is an AVR Dragon. So can I use AVR Dragon to download my program to Atmega128RFA1?

If you have STK600, then you don't need anything else, just use it to program the chips.

alexru wrote:
If you have STK600, then you don't need anything else, just use it to program the chips.

OK ,got it, thank you very much.