STK-600 Socket Card for Atmega128RFA1

Go To Last Post
7 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I checked the datasheet for STK-600 and it says I need a STK600-ATMEGA128RFA1 socket card to hold my Atmega128RFA1 MCU.

However, when I search the Atmel website, I find there is no way for me to purchase such a socket card.

Does anyone know where can I buy the STK600-ATMEGA128RFA1 socket card?

Thanks a lot.

Last Edited: Fri. Oct 16, 2015 - 02:11 PM

The only top card for ATmega128RFA1 is this one http://www.atmel.com/tools/ATMEGA128RFA1EVALUATIONKIT.aspx. It is impossible to put megaRF into the socket, RF stuff just won't work.

NOTE: I no longer actively read this forum. Please ask your question on www.eevblog.com/forum if you want my answer.

alexru wrote:
The only top card for ATmega128RFA1 is this one http://www.atmel.com/tools/ATMEGA128RFA1EVALUATIONKIT.aspx. It is impossible to put megaRF into the socket, RF stuff just won't work.

So, this means, if the Atmega128RFA1 is burned by some mistakes, the entire evaluation board is broken, there is no way for me to change another new MCU to the evaluation board, am I right?

Another question is, I have built a ATmega644p MCU system. I just soldered a MCU socket on the PCB board and then insert my ATmega664p MCU in it.
If I want to build a self-made MCU system by Atmel wireless MCU, is there any MCU socket I can use for ATmega128RFA1 or other wireless MCU so that I can solder this type of socket onto a PCB board, then insert my wireless MCU, and make this MCU system a wireless sensor node?

Thank you.

Yes, if you destroy the MCU, the only way to recover the board would be to re-solder the MCU.

It is physically impossible to create a socket for RF parts. Remember, you need to transfer frequencies of 2.4 GHz, any socket you can introduce on a way of the signal will kill your radio performance. This is true for any HF RF stuff, not only Atmel parts.

On the other hand, why do you expect to destroy the part?

NOTE: I no longer actively read this forum. Please ask your question on www.eevblog.com/forum if you want my answer.

Ok, I can see how device can be damaged in the university environment. For this I'd still recommend Xplained + find out if there is some sort of university program that can bring the price down. Usually you can get a very good deal.

alexru wrote:
Ok, I can see how device can be damaged in the university environment. For this I'd still recommend Xplained + find out if there is some sort of university program that can bring the price down. Usually you can get a very good deal.

Yes, we have half price down deal in Digikey.

Did you have a look at the Xplained PRO 256RFR2?? Comes with an on-board debugger.. Can turn out to be intersting... :)