Differences between lightweight mesh and Zigbee

Go To Last Post
11 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I checked the atmel website and learnt the features about zigbee and lightweight mesh. I just wondering what is the major differences between this two protocol stacks?

THANKS

Last Edited: Fri. Oct 16, 2015 - 02:11 PM

One is standard-compliant and huge another one is vary small and lightweight, but follows no public standard and proprietary to Atmel.

NOTE: I no longer actively read this forum. Please ask your question on www.eevblog.com/forum if you want my answer.

alexru wrote:
One is standard-compliant and huge another one is vary small and lightweight, but follows no public standard and proprietary to Atmel.

Thanks alexru. Does it mean lightweigh mesh is fit for small scale WSN and zigbee is for large scale WSN construction?

Quite opposite. Because of low overhead it is much easier to create large scale networks with LwMesh than with ZigBee. But ultimately (if you don't hit MCU memory limitations) upper boundary for all IEEE 802.15.4 mesh networks is about 200 nodes, and up to 500 with really careful planning of topology and application design.

NOTE: I no longer actively read this forum. Please ask your question on www.eevblog.com/forum if you want my answer.

alexru wrote:
Quite opposite. Because of low overhead it is much easier to create large scale networks with LwMesh than with ZigBee. But ultimately (if you don't hit MCU memory limitations) upper boundary for all IEEE 802.15.4 mesh networks is about 200 nodes, and up to 500 with really careful planning of topology and application design.

Got it, so the major difference between them is the structure of lightweight mesh is much simpler than the Zigbee. Am I right ?

Yes, it provides much less high-level services, so application can implement them in a way that is better suited for the particular application. ZigBee has it all, but most of the time ZigBee-way just does not fit into typical applications. A lot of times people don't want to have a central devices in the network (Coordinator) and ZigBee insists on having it, etc.

alexru wrote:
Yes, it provides much less high-level services, so application can implement them in a way that is better suited for the particular application. ZigBee has it all, but most of the time ZigBee-way just does not fit into typical applications. A lot of times people don't want to have a central devices in the network (Coordinator) and ZigBee insists on having it, etc.

So, does Zigbee has any advantage over lightweigh mesh?

It is a standard supported by many other vendors, so devices following that standard can talk to each other. In real life there are many obstacles to this being true, but that's the idea.

ZigBee by itself is rarely used, but it is used as a base layer for various profiles, like Home Automation, Smart Energy, Light Link. So additional benefit of ZigBee infrastructure is having all those profiles defined.

alexru wrote:
It is a standard supported by many other vendors, so devices following that standard can talk to each other. In real life there are many obstacles to this being true, but that's the idea.

ZigBee by itself is rarely used, but it is used as a base layer for various profiles, like Home Automation, Smart Energy, Light Link. So additional benefit of ZigBee infrastructure is having all those profiles defined.

Thanks alexru, helps me a lot!

Are all the ZigBee profiles available without a membership fee or license fee?

Do they all have copyrights and intellectual property claims?

Yes. The only thing you need a membership for is if you want to put a ZigBee logo on the box. In this case you need to have a certified stack and profile implementation.

They should not contain any IP that does not belong to ZigBee alliance. Whether it is true or not I don't know. The intent for it to be true, but patent trolls are all over the place.