AT86RF231 to STK600 connection

Go To Last Post
10 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I checked the atmel webside and found AT86RF231 can connect with the STK500. Though I don't know how they connect together. My question is anybody knows can I connect a AT86RF231 to an STK-600 ?

Thank you .

Last Edited: Fri. Oct 16, 2015 - 02:12 PM

The RF231 is a SPI operated radio. It needs an MCU running the appropriate firmware to drive it. The QFN package is a bitch to solder, so I'd recommend using the STK just to program an existing MCU/radio board.

Quote:

The RF231 is a SPI operated radio. It needs an MCU running the appropriate firmware to drive it. The QFN package is a bitch to solder, so I'd recommend using the STK just to program an existing MCU/radio board.

I would highly recommend NOT trying to solder a QFN package.

The RZ600 kit has the RF231 already on a board that can be connected thru a 2.54mm standard header to an spi interface. For example, to evaluate the RF231, I connected one of the RZ600 kits to a xmega a3bu xplained board J1 (I think I could just plug it in and not jump any wires since it follows Atmel's 10-pin header standard layout).

On the STK600 you have those 10 pin connectors, similiar like on STK500. Now it depends on the MCU that you use, if the SPI pin mapping fits to the RZ600 pin mapping (without adapter wires).

For STK500 and Mega16 there is an example here:
http://uracoli.blogspot.de/2013/...

Which MCU do you want to use?

I double checked the AVR website and found there is a chipset. The chipset is ATmega2561R212 . It uses ATmeag2561 to run the AT86RF232. Can I connect the ATmega2561R212 to my STK-600 board?

Chipset is just a pair of chips that have lower price together than they would separately. There is no hardware associated with it (except for both chips, of course).

NOTE: I no longer actively read this forum. Please ask your question on www.eevblog.com/forum if you want my answer.

dak664 wrote:

Yes , you are right , I need a MCU to trigger the RF device. So I find a chipset which embedded an MCU and RF device together. But now I not quite sure can I just program this chipset like when I program my MCU before.

There is no "embedding" happens, you still get two physical chips with ATmega2561R212. Also note that radio chip in this bundle is AT86RF212, not 232. Those chipsets (bundles) are for people buying a lot, not for development.

NOTE: I no longer actively read this forum. Please ask your question on www.eevblog.com/forum if you want my answer.

alexru wrote:
Chipset is just a pair of chips that have lower price together than they would separately. There is no hardware associated with it (except for both chips, of course).

Yes, I found the picture of that chipset on Digikey. So I just wonder can I just insert this chipset into STK-600 and make it work.

No, there is no top card or STK600 that would combine ATmega256 and radio sockets, it is pretty much impossible to put 2.4 GHz RF device into a socket.

You will have to find a board with the required chip installed. Rz600 is one way to go.