Microchip Studio 7.0.2542 crashes at start

Go To Last Post
9 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

After starting the program it displays the usual initial screen but displays the error message:

An exception was encountered while constructing the content of this frame.  This information is also logged in "C:\Users\Jerry\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\AppEnv\14.0\ActivityLog.xml".

Exception details:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsShell5.LoadPackageWithContext(Guid& packageGuid, Int32 reason, Guid& context)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.GetPackage()
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.ConstructContent()

Deinstalling Studio and reinstalling it didn't change the behaviour

An installation on another system and on another disk of the same system worked without error

The latest Windows is installed on all systems

The activity log is attached as a .zip file

Thanks for any help, Jerry

Attachment(s): 

This topic has a solution.
Last Edited: Tue. Oct 12, 2021 - 07:19 AM

Uninstall Studio, then find Visual Studio 2015 Shell Isolated and uninstall that as well. Then reinstall Studio and see if that solves it.

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Microchip, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Microchip’s positions, strategies, or opinions.

This reply has been marked as the solution. 

Thanks for the quick reply.

I need a memory refresh. The same problem was reported by me early this year, with the same solution

Problem now fixed

Best wishes, Jerry

Back to the same problem as quoted below!

I see the problem again, but only when I'm not the user Administrator, so it looks like an access denied error

The logfile is attached

I tried de-installing Microchip Studio and the Microsoft Visual Studio Shell (isolated), then re-installed the Microchip Studio 7.0.2542 followed by the Shell, rev 14.0.23107.10. with the same failure.

Sysinternals Process Monitor showed a few system call failures, but I couldn't identify anything significant

The fixes described in earlier reports of the failure didn't work. Windows is the latest version

Any good suggestions?

Thanks for help, best wishes from

Jerry

jerryr wrote:

After starting the program it displays the usual initial screen but displays the error message:

An exception was encountered while constructing the content of this frame.  This information is also logged in "C:\Users\Jerry\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\AppEnv\14.0\ActivityLog.xml".

Exception details:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsShell5.LoadPackageWithContext(Guid& packageGuid, Int32 reason, Guid& context)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.GetPackage()
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.ConstructContent()

Deinstalling Studio and reinstalling it didn't change the behaviour

An installation on another system and on another disk of the same system worked without error

The latest Windows is installed on all systems

The activity log is attached as a .zip file

Thanks for any help, Jerry

Attachment(s): 

Usually, if I face problems about software which is Visual Studio product, I will at once update this software's related Visual C++ library to the latest.  It worked at least for 1 time!  Like a magic!

So you have to consult M$ visual C++ update site at once!

Attachment(s): 

Hi,

same 4me! Was working OK some weeks ago after complete new installation (installer, not APP). Crashs now. I see cmd atbackend.exe screens popping up and errors that it cannot run. Re-installed M$ and Studio, - no cure.

Installed and invoked as Administrator

Please remove the "solved" tag, because its NOT.

If I start atbackend.exe directly from here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\atbackend I get the same error msg, even as Admin. Version 1.13.0.5003

Crash_dump info:

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 10.0.17763.132 X86

Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\Users\hk\AppData\Local\Temp\AtmelStudio.DMP]

User Mini Dump File with Full Memory: Only application data is available

Symbol search path is: srv*

Executable search path is: 

Windows 10 Version 19044 MP (6 procs) Free x64

Product: WinNt, suite: SingleUserTS

19041.1.amd64fre.vb_release.191206-1406

Machine Name:

Debug session time: Fri Dec 17 10:30:55.000 2021 (UTC + 1:00)

System Uptime: 0 days 0:34:31.382

Process Uptime: 0 days 0:00:14.000

ntdll!NtRaiseHardError+0x14:

00007ff9`0be2fa44 c3              ret

Edition    Windows 10 Pro

Version    21H2

Installiert am    â€Ž07.‎09.‎2020

Betriebssystembuild    19044.1415

Leistung    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

DbgView output:

Hans K
using AVR for railway model applications. C language
Living in France

Last Edited: Fri. Dec 17, 2021 - 09:54 AM

lve0200 wrote:
Please remove the "solved" tag, because its NOT.

Sure it is, for the OP.  The solutions just does not work for you.

JIm

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

Since you apparently got a .DMP file, attach it to your Microchip support case so that they can have a look

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Microchip, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Microchip’s positions, strategies, or opinions.

@ jgmdesign

Very helpful!

Hans K
using AVR for railway model applications. C language
Living in France

Last Edited: Wed. Dec 22, 2021 - 05:10 PM