Microchip Studio doesn’t support this board/device combination

Go To Last Post
7 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I’m trying to import a very simple Adafruit Qt Py Arduino sketch into Microchip Studio. I get an error message that states: “The device architecture is not valid. Microchip Studio doesn’t support this board/device combination”.  Also, I notice that in the Create C++ project from Arduino sketch dialog, the processor is listed as a “ATSAMD21G18A”, not "ATSAMD21E18A".

I see the same thing when attempting to import an ATSAMD51 Arduino project into Microchip Studio.

Is there an additional extension or update to Microchip Studio needed? My current version is 7.0.2542

I did a search of the forums for an answer to this but could not find anything. If I missed it please direct me.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack

Last Edited: Sun. Jun 20, 2021 - 10:36 PM

JTGartner wrote:
Is there an additional extension or update to Microchip Studio needed?
No other than device packs can be updated.

http://packs.download.atmel.com/#collapse-Atmel-SAMD21-DFP-pdsc

Device Pack Manager | Microchip Studio

[bottom]

Reset cache

Resetting the cache will re-index all installed packs. This does not uninstall or remove anything. It is in the Advanced menu.

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

gchapman, thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, neither suggestion helped. I deleted the ComponentModelCache directory as you suggested (I could not find the Advanced menu, so I navigated to the .../AtmelStudio/7.0 directory and deleted it there). I also updated the device packs; both were at the current versions, but I updated them anyway and it told me that they were at the current versions. (SAMD21 is v1.3.395 and SAMD51 is v1.2.139). I also shutdown and restarted Microchip Studio sever times testing this. Previous to this post, I had uninstalled and reinstalled Microchip Studio.

I assume that when importing an Arduino project into Microchip Studio the import process looks in a file someplace to see what it needs to do as far as copying or converting Arduino libraries and files into Microchip Studio libraries and files. Could that be corrupt or out of date? Is it documented anyplace?

Thanks again,

Jack

Jack

You're welcome.

JTGartner wrote:
(I could not find the Advanced menu,
enabled via Interface Profile

JTGartner wrote:
... or converting Arduino libraries and files ...
Am assuming Microchip Studio links to Arduino in some way (CLI?)

JTGartner wrote:
Could that be corrupt or out of date?
or dependent on a specific version range of the Arduino IDE?

Corrupt is not likely since Microchip Studio installed without errors; Microchip Studio can be repaired.

JTGartner wrote:
Is it documented anyplace?
a video

User Interface Profile Selection | Microchip Studio

Arduino Blog » Announcing the Arduino Command Line Interface (CLI)

Creating From Arduino Sketch | Microchip Studio

edit :

CLI Archives | Arduino Blog

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

Last Edited: Sun. Jun 20, 2021 - 08:02 PM
Total votes: 1

Has atmel/microchip ever claimed to support “3rd party” hardware?  Qt Py and the samd51 boards are NOT “arduinos”…

westfw – I would assume that Atmel/Microchip would support their own product no matter who makes the board that it’s mounted on. Also, since I can successfully create/compile/link/download an Adafruit Qt Py project in the Arduino IDE, why would I not also assume that I could import that project into Microchip Studio.

That’s why I asked if the if project import process is documented (not how to do it, that I know, but what the Microchip Studio IDE is doing when it creates a solution from an Arduino sketch). That way maybe I could fix whatever is broken. I can’t believe that I’m the only person who’s come across this issue.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack

gchapman – Thanks again. I’ll look at the links you posted.

Jack

Jack