SAMD51 Timer Interrupt

Go To Last Post
7 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi,

I'm a beginner on SAMD51 MCU and Atmel Start. I have been trying to write my own DALI master implementation for a while. For this project, I need a 1us timer interrupt. I have been fighting with the Atmel Start for a week but I have started to get mad configuring it.

I able to get 1ms timer task using the HAL Timer drivers but when I try to change the "Length of one timer tick in uS" to 1uS, I get 51uS in the task. I think this is the lowest level I can achieve now because even if I try to increase it a little bit, I still get 51uS. I am using the 120MHz clock as the source of the timer (TC1).

I attached my atmel_start_config file. Can anyone please guide me on this? I don't know why it is so hard to do configure a simple timer interrupt. HAL drivers should make developers life easier but it makes things more complicated with these tasks.

Attachment(s): 

Why do you need a 1us interrupt for DALI Master. This seems awfully fast. Just the isr servicing overhead will consume a significant amount of cpu performance.
For DALI you would normally use the timer compare feature for sending and the capture feature for receiving.

Hi Kartman,

Unfortunately, I couldn't run the ATSAMD51 timer capture module properly for a week. Configuring it over Atmel Start is very complicated it made me very mad figure it out. I got an example on SAMD21 from a support case but it didn't work for me either when I port it to SAMD51. 

You're right about using timer capture/compare features since it would be better to make the HW do the job for us. But the deadline is getting closer and I got very tired trying to figure out the Atmel Start. So I just wanted to run a 1uS timer and write my own bit-banging software. All I can have is a 50uS timer now and it is very hard to fit the timing regulations of the backward frame using 50uS timer...

Personally I wouldn't even consider Atmel Start. Maybe just have it generate enough code to configure the clocks etc, but I'd directly access the timer hardware - it really isn't that difficult. Besides, doesn't Arduino have a core library for it? till you'd need to access the timers directly, but at least you escape Start.

Kartman wrote:

Personally I wouldn't even consider Atmel Start. Maybe just have it generate enough code to configure the clocks etc, but I'd directly access the timer hardware - it really isn't that difficult. Besides, doesn't Arduino have a core library for it? till you'd need to access the timers directly, but at least you escape Start.

There are Arduino Dali libraries but I don't know how to use them with ATSAMD51. Besides most of the Arduino codes are built with delays and I don't want that. I really started to feel stupid because I couldn't set up the timer compare module properly for couple of weeks. This is my first time with SAMD MCUs, I had used XMEGAs before and it was easier to directly write to the registers and there were many examples. 

There’s circuit python for the d51. This might allow you to interactively configure the timers. Once you’ve determined the correctconfiguation, then you can resume with your C code.
The Arduino suggestion was to not even touch Start, but use the Arduino framework to get you going.

Thanks Kartman, I didn't use circuit python before but I will search it!