Connecting Atmega256rfr2 with Xbee

Go To Last Post
2 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

This is my first post on the atmel forum. :)

I am a newbee regarding embedded programming and am stuck for a while now.. I bought the Atmel Atmega256rfr2 Explained pro board and i am trying to communicate with an Xbee. 

So far I've loaded the Atmel example project "MAC beacon application device" and adjusted some general settings like the channel and panId. 

On another PC i configered the Xbee as the coordinator by using the XCTU app and opened the connection. 

It seems that the xbee coordinator can be found, as while stepping through the code, i see that the code reaches the function "usr_mlme_associate_conf" (see image) but fails and starts rescanning for coordinators again.

The status 235 explains: MAC_NO_DATA = 0xEB, /**< NO data defined by 802.15.4 */

I am not sure what this means as i cannot find any clear documentation about it.

Is there anyone who got it working with an Xbee or could point me in the right direction? 

Note that i am just getting started with programming atmel chips. I've followed the Atmega getting started videos. Learned a ton about registers, USART and reading sensor data (SPI) which all worked out at the end but the 802.15.4 documentation is quite overwhelming for me. 

Total votes: 0

Hi, 

MAC beacon application uses the MAC & phy layer of 802.15.4 and does not run a zigbee protocol stack over it, however the XBEE uses a zigbee protocol stack over 802.15.4, 

I think both the devices uses a similar hardware but have different protocol running on it. 

a phoenix will rise from the ashes at the right time and at the right place