Rebuilding a Atmel studio 7 solution using -mfloat-abi=hard

Go To Last Post
9 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I am trying to rebuild my solution using the "-mfloat-abi=hard" compile option in an effort to speed my FPU performance on my SAMD51.

However, I have linked files that were compiled with the default "-mfloat-abi=softfp" option.  Because of this, I can;t compile using the new =hard FPU option.

Is there an easy way to recompile all linked files with "-mfloat-abi=hard"?

-Troy

To be clear, I am getting, for example:

Severity    Code    Description    Project    File    Line    Source
Error        hpl/ramecc/hpl_ramecc.o uses VFP register arguments, metro1.elf does not    metro1    c:/program files (x86)/atmel/studio/7.0/toolchain/arm/arm-gnu-toolchain/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe    0    Build

How can I rebuild all of my libraries like hpl_ramecc.o so they use Hard floating point?

-troy

Have you tried doing a full rebuild?

Yes, tried numerous clean and rebuild compiles.

I have the same problem. Did you manage to solve it?

No, let me try opening a Microchip support ticket to see if they can help us.

-troy

Dear Troy,

any answer from the Microchip support yet how to set the compiler and linker flags to make sure the hardware FPU is used?

Best Regards

Markus

Last Edited: Sun. Nov 17, 2019 - 09:07 PM

I am still working on getting it working, but here are the 2 emails I received from Atmel support.  I am still working on getting arm_math.h added.  Maybe we can both hack away at this?  The first support response had errors, notice the corrections on the second response:

FIRST RESPONSE:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comment by : Sathyanarayanan A 11/15/2019 15:33:59 GMT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Troy,

Thanks for contacting Microchip.

Changing from softfp option to hard FP option requires some modifications in toolchain settings. Follow the following steps to resolve the issue:

1) Add “-mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv5-sp-d16” (for single precision) or “-mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv5-d16” (for double precision) flag in “Project Properties -> Toolchain -> ARM/GNU C Compiler -> Miscellaneous -> Other flags”.

2) Add ‘ARM_MATH_CM7=true’ in "Project Properties -> Toolchain -> ARM/GNU C Compiler -> Symbols -> Defined symbols (-D)".

3) Remove "__SOFT-FP__" from "Project Properties -> Toolchain -> ARM/GNU C Compiler -> Symbols -> Defined symbols (-D)".

4) Include <arm_math.h> file in the main.

5) Enable FPU unit in main using "fpu_enable();".

6) Change the CMSIS library from "libarm_cortexM7lfsp_math_softfp" to "libarm_cortexM7lfsp_math" from "Project Properties -> Toolchain -> ARM/GNU Linker->Libraries->Libraries(-I).

Kindly let us know if this resolves the issue.

Warm regards,

Sathyanarayanan.

SECOND RESPONSE:

Hello Troy,

Microchip Technical Support has added a comment on case 00476987.

Case Link: https://microchipsupport.force.com/s/case/5003l00000y11SN

Latest Comment:

Hi Troy,

I Apologize for not noticing it's a M4 device.

-> In SAMDx/Ex(M4) devices only single precision FPU is available and the flag to be added in GNU compiler is "-mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16" not "fpv5".

-> Add the same flag in "Project Properties -> Toolchain -> ARM/GNU C Linker -> Miscellaneous -> Other flags".

->Add "ARM_MATH_CM4" instead of "ARM_MATH_CM7" in symbols and also add "__FPU_PRESENT=1" in the symbols.

->The Atmel start didn't include arm_math.h file by default. So, kindly download standalone ASF4 framework and add arm_math.h header present inside \xdk-asf-3.47.0\thirdparty\CMSIS\Include by right clicking your project name and clicking "add existing item" .

-> libarm_cortexM4f_math.a library found in \xdk-asf-3.47.0\thirdparty\CMSIS\lib\GCC should be added by right clicking your project name and clicking "add library".

The standalone ASF4 can be downloaded from the following link:

https://www.microchip.com/mplab/avr-support/advanced-software-framework

-> Include <arm_math.h> header in your main.c file, Rebuild the project.

Hope this resolves your FPU issues.

Warm regards,

Sathyanarayanan.

The one thing I can't figure out is what #include I need for the "fpu_enable()"