Issue regarding UART write callback for ATSAMC21

Go To Last Post
8 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

The following problem regarding an Atmel SMART ARM-based MCU, ATSAMC21.

I am using ATSAMC21-XPRO development board, Atmel Studiov7 IDE and ASF3 framework.

Application flow  --    PC<==EDBG==> ATSAMC21 <==UART==> GSM module, also  --  another microcontroller ==CAN==> ATSAMC21.

So, here I want to send 8-bytes of CAN data to GSM by using UARTs write callback method (usart_write_buffer_job function). Program flow is like I send an AT command to the GSM it responds by sending a ">" char, which then is received by ATSAMC21 which further should send the CAN data to the GSM.

Here I am able implement the "usart_read_buffer_job" to receive the ">" char but I am failing to implement the "usart_write_buffer_job".

Like only the last received byte is sent and rest of the frame is missing. While debugging I am able to see the required bytes in the respective buffer but on the GSM-terminal side all I can see is the last byte. I am not able to rectify the problem.

If I use the "usart_read_buffer_wait" function everything is achieved as required but with a larger CAN data and as the GSM module's response latency varies I have to implement this communication using "_job" or callback method.

I attaching a few snippets of my code, please share your suggestions/solutions for the same. Thank you.

Attachment(s): 

This topic has a solution.
Last Edited: Sat. Dec 21, 2019 - 11:51 AM
                 usart_write_buffer_job(&usart3_instance, (uint8_t *)temp, c);  //Problem with this
                 usart_write_job(&usart3_instance, spc);

The usart_write_buffer_job call is not done when you call usart_write_job. Why not include the spc in the temp buffer and do it all with a single call. And for any additional writes, you need to wait for the usart3_write_callback before calling usart_write_buffer_job again.

/Lars

I am not sure whether I will be able to include spc with temp, but I will try following your suggestion and get back to you again.

Wait for "usart3_write_callback" as in are you suggesting on adding a delay function of a few milli-seconds or a few seconds before "usart_write_buffer_job" function, right?

No wait for the callback. Or wait for usart_get_job_status() != STATUS_BUSY.

/Lars

Okay I will try this and get back to you.

Can you please give little more details on the same. I am sorry, I tried but I am not able get the right results.

Thank you.

This reply has been marked as the solution. 

That double write job was the thing that looked wrong and actually when looking at it you are performing 10 _job calls without waiting. And there is another another problem with the temp buffer since you overwrite it with sprintf before the previous usart_write_buffer_job is done.

Anyway, that is way too much to do in the interrupt handler. It can also be a problem if you tried to wait for the usart job there, it would only be possible if the SERCOM interrupt has higher priority than the CAN interrupt.

I suggest you just collect the data in the CAN handler and set a flag and then the main loop can look at the flag and perform all usart writes when there is data to send.

/Lars

Okay. The thing is that I am new to this development, a beginner. It is a little difficult for me to put the things logically in the code. But, I can understand what you are suggesting me to do. I will try and get back on this. Thank you.