Guidance on which Processor to Use

Go To Last Post
5 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi,

I have previously purchased the AT91SAM7S development kit, with the ATSAM-ICE, and i also have the AVRISPMK2. In viewing the literature, the AT91SAM processors are detailed as legacy. Therefore, to ensure future support and lifetime, i propose to select a different processor, but the MCU selection capability produces many results, and i am not sure which to select. The basic requirements i have ar as follows :

1. Infrared receiver interface.

2. 6 buttons interfacing.

3. Rotary encoder interface – probably 1 input pin.

4. SPI interface.

5. In system programming capability.

6. 5bit encoded input

7. Interface to LCD based display which is I2S interface.

8. Potential for interfacing to a touch screen.

9. ADC input.

10. Possible USB interface capability ???

Will the previous kits be of any benefit ?. Should i select a processor that has the performance to run Linux ?

The micrcontroller will be used to manage an high performance 24bit ADC, DSP Core, 3x DAC IC's, as well as the aforementioned interfacing inputs and outputs.

If there was a requirement to add Bluetooth, Wifi, and Ethernet communications, then is such a capability going to change the processor selected significantly ?.

One caveat is that i prefer not to use a processor that uses the BGA package.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards,

Shadders.

This topic has a solution.
Last Edited: Fri. Feb 1, 2019 - 02:44 PM

You are spoilt for choices. Atmel have a near drop in replacement for the sam7s with the sam4 series methinks. If you want bluetooth, wifi or ethernet you can get micros that have all these on chip - for example the esp32. Many micros have usb and ethernet.
I’d suggest you select a dev board that has some or all of the features you want and go from there.

Kartman wrote:
You are spoilt for choices. Atmel have a near drop in replacement for the sam7s with the sam4 series methinks. If you want bluetooth, wifi or ethernet you can get micros that have all these on chip - for example the esp32. Many micros have usb and ethernet. I’d suggest you select a dev board that has some or all of the features you want and go from there.

Hi Kartman,

Thanks - yes - read through the Microchip Selection Brochure - and the SAM4N is pin compatible with the SAM7S, but does not have Ethernet capability. I may be able to use the existing development kit and then port across to the target processor such as the SAM4E or SAMD5.

My main aim to get get the DSP active filter designed with integration with the 6x amplifiers Protection circuits etc., and i can then evolve the board later to add functionality. The other option is to use a Raspberry Pi - for the networking aspects.

Regards,

Shadders.

This reply has been marked as the solution. 

If you choose a chip that has MBED or Arduino support, this will ease the problem of networking. Raspi is a handy choice if you're only making a handful, but probably won't turn out to be too economical in quantity. Personally, I'd suggest you shelve the SAM7S, whilst it was a great chip for its time, it is obsolete and there are more modern, better choices. The modern dev boards are cheaper and most have on board debug capabilities. I don't think the old Atmel SAM debugger will do SWD which is what most modern ARM chips use.

Kartman wrote:

If you choose a chip that has MBED or Arduino support, this will ease the problem of networking. Raspi is a handy choice if you're only making a handful, but probably won't turn out to be too economical in quantity. Personally, I'd suggest you shelve the SAM7S, whilst it was a great chip for its time, it is obsolete and there are more modern, better choices. The modern dev boards are cheaper and most have on board debug capabilities. I don't think the old Atmel SAM debugger will do SWD which is what most modern ARM chips use.

Hi Kartman,

Thanks again for the reply. I will probably take this in stages - design the basic board controlling other devices using I2C, with an LCD alphanumeric display, using the existing development board - and port across once finished, to another processor. Purely because i want to get the basic system functioning. The Raspberry Pi option as you say for low volumes should allow for networking of a NAS with audio files located - and provide a larger LCD capability - at a distance, the usual 20x2 line LCD's are a bit too small - or i need an eye test....

Regards,

Shadders.