Warning "LITTLE_ENDIAN" redefined

Go To Last Post
12 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

After updating to AS 7.0.1417 a project was compiled with no errors, but a warning '"LITTLE_ENDIAN" redefined' appeared. The first definition was in line 217 of file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Packs\atmel\SAMD21_DFP\1.2.276\samd21a\include\samd21g18a.h

The redefinition was in line 17 of file:

c:\program files (x86)\atmel\studio\7.0\toolchain\arm\arm-gnu-toolchain\arm-none-eabi\include\machine\endian.h

Looking at this file it looks like the symbol __BSD_VISIBLE is defined somewhere, but where? 

Jerry

Hi Jerry

I am having the same issue and started searching.

I let you know in case I find some thing

All the Best

Frank

Hi Jerry,

found it:

in features.h __BSD_VISIBLE gets defined based on _DEFAULT_SOURCE and that is defined based on eihter _GNU_SOURCE or _BSD_SOURCE or _SVID_SOURCE
This is all kind of confusing to me... I was hoping I can get rid of the little endian warnings, but I am afraid that if I undef __BSD_VISIBLE the thing will fail because they have used the BSD version some were.

All the Best
Frank

I'm having the same issue but would like to know more without digging into it too much myself.

Does this happen when creating a new project with atmel studio?

What else might be affected by the toolchain update?

I created an empty C project and compiled it. The error did not appear. 

The project which does show the error is large and complicated, it would be difficult to localise the cause of the error

The next thing I would do is a diff on the .cproj files of the new project and the old

WinMerge would suffice.

After that compare the generated Makefile

So I started a new ASF example project "WINC3400_SIMPLE_TCP_CLIENT_EXAMPLE1"

I'm receiving the

"LITTLE_ENDIAN" Redefined 

Warning on build.

Officially giving up on this issue for now since this was an untouched Atmel example.

Resurrecting this thread.  I just tried to do a START update on my project and I'm getting the "LITTLE_ENDIAN" redefined error.  Traces back to endian.h in the toolchain, with __BSD_VISIBLE defined.

It looks like the START generated code is using the compiler option -std=gnu99 (under project properties->ARM/GNU C Compiler->Miscellaneous).  Change it to -std=c99 and the problem goes away.

ScottMN: Thanks for the fix

Jerry

Running AS7 7.0.1931

Switching to -std=c99 causes an error and forces me to remove any GCC extensions I'm using.

I ditched the extension but still am receiving the error.

Error seems to be due to the boundary macro in compiler.h being defined as such:

I'm not going to modify the toolchain or ASF files so for now I'm falling back to using std=gnu99

I usually go into the offending header file and put

#ifndef  LITTLE_ENDIAN

#define LITTLE_ENDIAN

#endif

The issue is that if you include header files in different orders it can be defining LITTLE_ENDIAN again, I do wish the CMSIS headers would have the #ifndef to the definition.