Selecting type of Wireless

Go To Last Post
2 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hello, I am building on a data acquisition board which currently uses USB to send data to the PC. I would like to make it wireless (short range) but I do not know how to determine the best method. Some PCs do not have built-in wireless but USB wireless adapters are cheap. I just bought a EDUP 802.11n USB adapter for the PC. Can another EDUP be used on the data board? I presume that I would have to write my own driver but I am not sure what is involved. I can look at the Linux installation code for some help. Doing it this way also means either using a USB microcontroller or serial to USB converter which adds complexity.

Looking at the wireless modules on Mouser there are Bluetooth, WiFi and ZigBee.  These have interfaces that do not need USB input and make the interface simpler.

There appear to be more Bluetooth and WiFi USB dongles than ZigBee.

Thanks.

Total votes: 0

Hi,

What is the required data rate?

If it's really short range and rate, you can check out BLE devices. Microchip has BTLC1000ZR (UART interface with host MCU).

For a bit longer range and higher data rate, you could go for 802.11 based devices such as WINC1500 / WILC1000 (SPI interface with host MCU).

There are devices like WINC3400 / WILC3400 that have both BLE and Wi-Fi capabilities.