Hardware acceleration of a crypto function

Go To Last Post
3 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hey guys,

I talked to a customer who does not think hardware can offer much in terms of acceleration of crypto functions specifically certificate signing using ECC (ECDSA).  He works on mobile phones with high end processors so his claim potentially credible in that space but got me curious.  What kinds of ECDSA sign times are you seeing in software implementations?  ATECC508A does this in less than 50ms, have you beaten this and on what processor?

Eustace Asanghanwa
Atmel Crypto Products

The point of using a crypto processor is not speed its security mate!

It does not matter if he can do it in software at 1,000 times the speed its not secure it can be cloned.

So when talking about 508a lets stick with the primary requirements SECURITY.

Regards

Mark

PS How do i get the TARGET USB working with the crypto Auth example code for D21 board with 508a?

Debug works all ok. Interface not showing up on second USB on D21.

What Windows O/S ( 7, 8.1 or 10 ) x86 or x64 do you use to build D21 demo under Studio 7 to use the TARGET USB interface?

Last Edited: Mon. Oct 17, 2016 - 06:06 PM

Hi @eustace,
please take a look at this benchmark from WolfSSL: https://www.wolfssl.com/files/fl...

According to this test on Cortex-M0 48MHz ECDSA generation with ECC508A is 7x faster then hardware and ECDSA verification is 25x faster then hardware. Of course in mobile you milage will vary, but you can find other numbers: https://www.wolfssl.com/wolfSSL/...

Quick software benchmark on Raspberry Pi 2 (quad core Cortex A7 processor @ 900MHz):

EC-DSA   sign   time     50.843 milliseconds, avg over 100 iterations
EC-DSA   verify time     98.810 milliseconds, avg over 100 iterations

If I would be able to run it on ECC508A I will provide hardware numbers.