Can not properly debug : how to identify the problem ?

Go To Last Post
6 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi everybody. I am currently developing on an Atmel SAML21J18B, I am using Atmel Studio as IDE, and an Atmel-ICE as programmer/debugger. Everything was working fine, until I changed my computer. What changed was :

- new Computer

- Going from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10

- Changing my Atmel Studio version to the last

- Changing my Atmel ICE Firmware to the last (Going from 1.11 to 1.13 I believe).

After those changes, I am unable to properly debug my software : after putting a breakpoint, if I break then resume the process, the process will go wild : it apparently goes to the instruction "FFFFFFFC" in memory, which is obviously way out of the bounds of the memory.

I have no idea of which of the elements that I enumerated above are causing the problem. I could be Win 10's drivers, it could be the Atmel ICE new firmware... If this happened to someone already, I would be glad to get information about that.

Last Edited: Tue. Oct 18, 2016 - 08:14 AM

Please post ARM specific issue in the ARM forum, I'll move the thread.

- Going from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10

- Changing my Atmel Studio version to the last

- Changing my Atmel ICE Firmware to the last (Going from 1.11 to 1.13 I believe).

...and you expect anything to work.....? winkdevil 

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Well... What's supposed to change ?

This is actually an huge issue for me, I would appreciate if someone had the solution to this.

I could be Win 10's drivers, it could be the Atmel ICE new firmware...

Most likely both of them with a possible bonus Studio bug. It may be worth starting a support ticket with Atmel, some support people have a look here from time to time but not guaranteed.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Ok, I will try to open a ticket. It also seems that this bug is fixed/less present if I only have one or 2 breakpoints in the app. Could the number of breakpoints have an influence on the memory/debugger behaviour /somehow ?