SAME70 and SAMV70 dont have I2s (inter sound) ports?

Go To Last Post
5 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

The datasheets say that the parts SAME70/71 and SAMV70/71 have 2 I2S ports (inter sound) . However, there is no example project  using these ports and the header files of the support package dont make any reference to these ports. When you look at the memory mapped registers of the I2s port (address 0x4008C000), you get invalid data (unmapped address space).Any read or write to this area will cause the processor  to make an exception.

Are these ports in reality missing and is the datasheet wrong ? 

Bernhard Piller

I quote the errata section of the datasheet:

61.7 Inter-IC Sound Controller (I2SC)
Issue: I2SC not available
The I2SC is not available.
Workaround: None.

BOOM surprise

BTW: you can use the SSC Module to emulate I2S. I guess Atmel will implement it on a later stepping?!

No M7 variant from Atmel has I2S yet. They should stop advertising that it does since there's no connection on the BUS lines and it's been at least a year since they started to ship V71 dev boards. I2S is a bane of Atmel's existence. I've had multiple issues on multiple chips, so I guess they circumvented the issue this time by not actually including it yet! sad

WARNING : There are actually issues with the SSC. I posted a few things about  it on various threads on here already including the errata mentioned above. One of the main issues is SSC doesn't work with DMA in standard I2S - you have to use left-justified mode or else it pushes the MSB of one channel onto the LSB of another. I raised the issue through a ticket and got some really stellar responses - no acceptance of what I spent a day to test and prove just a "contact your local FAE" - why? Is the FAE going to redesign the silicon? If all you are doing is passing the audio through, your garbage in comes out of the other side ok because the offset happens on both TX/RX. Try doing some simple math on the data and you'll have some awesome clickity clack come out the other end that sounds like a shadow of your former audio.

Good to know... I used SSC for Left justified Audio and had no problem (Grab a mono stream with dma (16 of 32 bit) out of a stereo PCM stream). Glad we did not choose a chip with actual I2S surprise.

New datasheet for V71 went up two days ago - complete  instead of prelim. Looks like I2SC is available now on Revision B parts with one errata. You may want to check for updates with E series as well.

63.2.6 Inter-IC Sound Controller (I2SC) Issue: I2SC first sent data corrupted Right after I2SC reset, the first data sent by I2SC controller on the I2SDO line is corrupted. The following data are not affected. Workaround: None.