Cryptoauthlib SAM D21 Example Solution printf

Go To Last Post
3 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi, after getting all the necessary experience to operate ATECCX08A security ICs on the AVR platform I intend now to move to the ARM platform. Specifically the Cortex M0+ series via the SAM D21 Explained Pro board.

Therefor I installed Atmel Studio 7, learned to build projects from within the Atmel IDE and then downloaded the  "Cryptoauthlib D21 Test Host example". Everything works well beside that I can't get the printf commands to work. The example package uses a lot of printf commands but no chance to get the printf data back into the IDE via the embedded debugger or via the Terminal Extension. 

So, has someone already made experience with the specific example package and can me tell how to handle the printf issue? I'm sure it is just about inexperience from my side. 

Tom

Hello Tom,

are you using the SAMD21 Xplained Board? Have you connected the Target USB port to the computer you are using? The UART setting is: 115200 baud, 8 bit, no parity, 1 stop bit.

The printf output is directed to Target USB, not Debug USB.

Kind regards,

Edy Gunawan

Edy & Atmel IDE team

RE: SAMD21 Xplained Board & cryptoAuth demo.

I also have the issues with the same project under Win 10 x64.
Searched for ages with out finding a solution.

Compiles fine, uploads to onto D21.
Can see debugging info fine.

Reinstalled full Win 10 x64 & Studio 7 did not help at all, just wasted half a day of R&D work.

The issue is:

The Target USB is not identified under Win 10 x64.
The only show up is the debugger interface.

I was expecting two USB devices to be identified on Win x64 when i plugged in the D21

Why does the target USB on the D21 not show up as a USB interface at all?

Why do we have to turn to the black arts to make the project work as designed?

Regards

Mark Edgar
Software Engineer BEng (Hons)

SwitchedOnScotland.