Newbee SAM L21 question

Go To Last Post
3 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi,

I am very interested in the new bluetooth products from Atmel. In the next days I want to order the BTLC1000 Xplained Pro Starter Kit.
This includes the ATBTLC1000-XPRO board and ATSAML21-XPRO.
In the past I did only developments for MCUs like Attiny, Atmega.
But on the ATSAML21-XPRO there is an ATSAML21 MCU.

After getting familiar with programming using the ATSAML21-XPRO how can I create my own circuits using the ATSAML21?

For e.g. Atmega32 I used the STK-600, a socket card, a routing card and then I could program my Atmega32 via Atmel Studio.

After programming I could solder the Atmega32 to my PCB. Or I could use the ISP pins to do programming directly on the PCB (ISP).

Here my questions:

How I can do this for ATSAML21? Can I still use the STK-600? Is there a routing card and socket card available?

Can I do ISP (In System Programming) also with ATSAML21 and STK-600?

Thanks for any help!

Last Edited: Mon. Oct 26, 2015 - 10:09 PM

As far as I know there is no support for a routing card for the ATSAML21. There is support for the ATSAMD21 but there are some pins that are switched so if you want to re-work the VDDCORE and VSW pins you might get it to work.

Concerning programming the SAM devices, the STK-600 does not support them. The simplest would be to purchase a AtmelICE variant. The lowest price would be the ATATMEL-ICE-PCBA which is $35 from Digikey.

The Cortex M devices do not have use the Atmel ISP interface (6-pin), instead they use the ARM SWD interface (10-pin to be standard with any tool). (note you can use the Atmel-ICE for both the AVR or SAM devices via Atmel Studio or ATprogram).

Last Edited: Sun. Oct 25, 2015 - 02:36 AM

Hi cwunder,

thanks a lot, that helped!